Thursday, May 26, 2022

On Wristwatches

Watches are probably the second most controversial thing one can wear on their wrist. I've always been a fan of the wristwatch - they've got a solid utility and I find the weight reassuring - but I've come to find that each kind of watch comes with a collection of disappointing follies.

- The humble digital watch, while cheap and easy to read, is usually uncomfortable and unsightly. I have one that I wear for work, and it's always either too loose or too tight. Plus, it makes me look like a giant nerd of the "three-day-shower-gap" variety.
- The analog watch, often considered "The Classic Watch", is a great accessory for weddings and whatnot. But, they do have one major weak spot: Hell to wear. All the Premium Metal Construction means that wearing it usually involves some sort of clasp-situation that will never ever sit right on the wrist. I own one good analog watch, and even though I could get a link added, why the hell would I? [Note: I will not address the Swatch, as I am not 14 years old.] Plus, it makes me look like a giant nerd of the "pretentious-about-coffee" variety.
- The smart watch. Maybe one day, they'll make one of these that works well and doesn't look like shit. In the meanwhile, there's no way in hell I'm wearing a watch that I have to recharge every night. Plus, it would make me look like a nerd of the "has-opinions-about-Huawei" variety.

So this is my watch plight. I suppose I could suck it up and spend triple-digit money on a good, quality watch. I suppose I could just not wear a watch and leave my wrists unadorned. I'll paraphrase Linkin Park by saying that in the end, who gives a fuck?

No comments:

Post a Comment

the future is now

 to any internet scavengers stumbling upon this in the distant future, this saga continues here . didn't want to leave anybody hanging